netmap on cxgb (Chelsio T3) — panic on transmit
Lev Serebryakov
2018-11-22 15:30:28 UTC
I've obtained Chelsio T3 for my "network lab". It works with cxgb
driver well, but when I try to use Netmap's pkt-gen on it it crashes
system immediately with such message:

panic: trying to coalesce 9 packets in to one WR

I've turned all checksums, lro and tso off, but it doesn't help.

Do I have any chances to get netmap supported (maybe, not very
efficient) on this NIC?
// Lev Serebryakov
Navdeep Parhar
2018-11-26 20:33:09 UTC
Post by Lev Serebryakov
I've obtained Chelsio T3 for my "network lab". It works with cxgb
driver well, but when I try to use Netmap's pkt-gen on it it crashes
panic: trying to coalesce 9 packets in to one WR
I've turned all checksums, lro and tso off, but it doesn't help.
Do I have any chances to get netmap supported (maybe, not very
efficient) on this NIC?
The T3 is a very old chip that has been EoL'd for some time and it's not
likely to get native netmap support.

Your panic must be while using netmap's emulation mode on top of cxgb.
Try modifying check_pkt_coalesce() in the driver to always return 0 and
see if that avoids the panic. Don't expect much performance-wise even
if that works.

Regards,
Navdeep